Members Club Night. “ The Unknown Warrior”.
Wed 25th Apr 2018
A talk by Dr. John Sutton on the origin and creation of the world’s first Tomb of the Unknown Warrior in Westminster Abbey. Following the talk there will be an opportunity to meet with Dr. Sutton over refreshments.
The talk will cover the following:-
- The origin of the notion of an Unknown Warrior to represent all other unknown soldiers
- The selection of the body, and the journey from France to London in 1920.
- The arrangements for the internment in Westminster Abbey.(There is film footage of the journey home)
- The unveiling of the Cenotaph on the same day.
- The traditions of Armistice Day & Remembrance Sunday (e.g. the two-minute silent and the introduction of poppies).
- A brief review of how other countries commemorate their own Unknown Soldier.
Come along and learn why it is the Unknown Warrior and not Soldier.
Members FREE Guests £2.00. Tickets at the Box Office from 20th March.